Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes

This morning I made a new recipe of GF Pancakes with amaranth flour and wild rice flour that I ground in my Vita-Mix.  It was delicious.  To quote DH, "Yum!"  I've been looking for a flour blend that I can use without rice, corn, soy or sorghum and this worked out nicely.  Of course it is also egg-free since that is a must for me.  It could be made dairy free by substituting 1 cup of soured milk substitute  (e.g. 1 cup almond milk/rice milk/soy milk with 1 T vinegar or lemon juice) as described here.  

This is the recipe:

1/4 c gar/fava flour
1/4 c potato starch
1/4 c tapioca flour
1/8 c wild rice flour
1/8 c amaranth flour
4 t baking powder (GF, corn-free)
1 t baking soda
2 t sugar
1 t salt
1/2 c apple sauce (I used thick, homemade apple sauce)
1 c buttermilk (if you use thin applesauce, consider using plain yogurt instead)
2 t vanilla
2 T olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Add the wet ingredients and stir until just blended.  Cook over medium heat on a lightly oiled non-stick pan.  Just like other pancakes, turn when the bubbles in the batter stop popping.  Cook the other side.  Serve warm plain, with maple syrup, or with other favorite topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment