Sunday, February 14, 2010

Garden Update

This weekend we got around to a number of garden projects.  In addition to weeding, since we've actually had rain lately, we did some planting.  I planted about 4.25 pounds of red and gold potatoes into various pots and boxes.  Also, I planted TONS of seeds to start indoors.  Basil, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes (6 types - Black Krim, Brandywine, Yellow Pear, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter and Pineapple), cucumbers (lemon and gherkin), chard, squash (pattypan, portofino, zucchini - oops, no yellow crookneck?), lettuces and marigolds.  In the past, I've had spotty success transplanting outside the puny seedlings that I start indoors.  Now I've got them in a different window, so I hope they'll get more sun and be more robust.  We'll see.

We are still eating pounds and pounds of oranges from our trees.  The sugar snap peas are blooming and producing nicely, although I wish it were more.  When we are out in the garden, the kids snack on the peas constantly.  Almost none make it into the house!  We've harvested a lot of parsley lately and made pesto.  I'd prefer basil but none is ready.  I only started 8 basils - perhaps I'd better do more.  Although if all these seeds actually take, where on Earth am I going to plant them all?

No comments:

Post a Comment